This polyphonic a cappella mass was first published in 1699, while Campra was still music master at Notre-Dame de Paris. It is the only known mass (with the exception of his Requiem);
In this composition, André Campra plays with rhythms (binary, ternary) as well as varied vocal formations (trio, quartet, even duo). Each voice sings, dialogues or responds to the other parts with great melodic and harmonic inventiveness.
At the crossroads between Jean-Baptiste Lully and Jean-Phillipe Rameau, André Campra, a native of Aix en Provence, has put the sun in his music, whether secular or sacred.