Prior to the version to be published in 1908, Claude Debussy had composed "Deux chansons de Charles d'Orléans", which are works, in a way, simpler, but all as strong as what will constitute the well-known cycle of "three songs of Charles of Orleans ".
Written in April 1898 for the family choir of Lucien Fontaine, an important industrial friend and patron of Claude Debussy (Lucien Fontaine will be, with Eric Satie and Pierre Louÿs, his witness to marriage in 1899), "God make it good watching "is the first of these " TWO SONGS ". Debussy also composes "Yver vous n'estes qu'un villain" (not to be compared with the 1908 publication which is completely different). Subsequently, Debussy will add "Quand j'ai ouy le tambourin".
Francis Rappart's restitution is based on the original manuscript and required care and attention in order to fully understand and provide a clear and complete version of this composition.
Differences with the version published in 1908 are important, especially for the bass voice, but also at the beginning of the song.
No doubt that this version has to be rediscovered and performed.